Wednesday, November 15, 2006

Sarawak Famous Kolo Mee in Petaling Jaya

My daughter, married to a Sarawakian, used to bring back packets of Sarawak Kolo Mee each time she visits Sarawak. It was nice. So when I heard that there was a stall in Petaling Jaya New Town serving Sarawak Kolo Mee (dry noodles), and I had some things to attend to in the nearby National Registration Department, I decided to go searching for the stall. I found it in a corner coffee shop opposite Menara MPPJ. The name of that coffee shop was Restauran Fook Yun. The signboard of the stall says Sarawak Handmade Noodles. It was a Monday, and the stall was closed. The next Wednesday, I had another meeting in PJ Hilton, and decided to try my luck again. This time it was opened, by two ladies who said they were from Sarawak.

I ordered a bowl. Didn't specify big (bowl) or small. They served me the small (bowl), probably I was skinny. It was RM4 (USD1.10). A big (bowl) would have been RM4.50 (USD1.23). It was a simple dish of noodles topped with some barbecued pork, a few stem of vegetable and a sprinkling of fried shallots and spring onions, and served with a bowl of soup with 2 beef balls. This friday, I will be having a meeting again in PJ Hilton. After the meeting, I will be going again, but this time for the big (bowl) and see what the difference will be.

UPDATE Friday 17 November 2007: After my meeting at PJ Hilton, I made my way to the kolo mee stall again, but this time equipped with a digital camera, which I am not very proficient at using. So, if the photos turned out to be a bit blur, I apologise. This time, I specified big (bowl), and the difference is slightly more mee (noodles) and more garnishing of minced meat, barbequed pork, 2 fried wan tan (prawn meat I think, wrapped in pastry), a few stem of vegetable, sprinkling of fried shallot and spring onions. Here is a photo of the dish:
Sarawak Famous Kolo Mee
Here is a photo of the stall sporting a signboard that says Handmade noodles (I understand that the ladies have to wake up early in the morning to make the noodles):
Sarawak famous Kolo Mee stall

UPDATE 30 Novembert 2006: Went to the dentist today. As the stall was nearby, I though I might as well try out the kolo mee again. This time I ordered small (bowl) and bought along a digital camera to capture an image of a small (bowl) for you to see the difference. Here us the photo (click to enlarge):
sarawak kolo mee small
Don't look like there is very much difference between big and small, except for slightly less noodles.

The coffee shop is located at one of the 4 corners of Menara MBPJ (Menara means tower in Malay and MBPJ is short for Menara Majlis Bandaran Petaling Jaya), and facing it. It used to be called MP Menara MPPJ (Majlis Perbandaran Petaling Jaya). The town has recently been upgraded to become a city now, so the change in name. The tower is easily recognisable from a distance. The coffee shop is at 31 Road 51/1, 46200 Petaling Jaya. Here is a photo to Menara MBPJ as a landmark for you to look for the stall should you decide to try it out (click to enlarge):
Menara MBPJ

3 comments:

  1. I used to visit Malaysia for it inexpensive and tasty food-Henry Leong
    http://henryleongblog.blogspot.com/

    ReplyDelete
  2. i used to travel a lot to sarawak towns + i reckon the best kolok mee is from a restaurant in miri. my personal opinion.

    but i gather, the mi kolok you featured is non-halal?

    :o(

    ReplyDelete
  3. Halal or not I know not, but if you are interested to find out, the University where I used to teach, a lecturer wanted to start a halal testing center. Want to try that?

    Peter Blog*Star
    Blogger Tips and Tricks

    ReplyDelete